What is a Concussion?
A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury—or TBI—caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head or by a hit to the body that causes the head and brain to move rapidly back and forth. This sudden movement can cause the brain to bounce around or twist in the skull, creating chemical changes in the brain and sometimes stretching and damaging brain cells.
Medical providers may describe a concussion as a “mild” brain injury because concussions are usually not life-threatening. Even so, the effects of a concussion can be serious.
Our Certified Impact Physical Therapist Tiffany Puleio,P.T., M.S. will conduct Pre-Concussion Baseline Testing and Pre Concussion Balance and Vestibular Baseline Testing
The Baseline is where an athlete’s brain status is documented prior to a traumatic brain injury (Concussion)
The Biodex system, used by our Physical Therapist, gives the needed information for a baseline of gait and balance pre-injury
This concussion program should be used in conjunction with the ImPACT Program for maximum effect.
1. Get a diagnosis from a Medical Doctor that there is a concussion
2. Have the Athlete take another ImPACT test (We can do this in our office if necessary) to asses severity of concussion
3. Contact Anchorage Spine and Physical Therapy ( APT) to start a concussion treatment program
4. APT will guide you through the rehabilitation process to get your athlete to a Return To Play Condition
5. Using our treatment plan in conjunction with our Biodex will give a 93% chance of positive Return To Play
6. Standardized subjective testing only guarantees a 40% chance of positive Return to Play
If you or anyone else you know would like to get your Baseline Testing done call our office today 732-228-7273